Monday, July 20, 2009

More strangeness afoot at Chateau de Frau

Guess what I learned this weekend (well, I already knew it, but it was confirmed this weekend)--You all have much more interesting lives than I do. Y'all are out doing and being and all I accomplished over this weekend was to read a book I bought several years ago. It was so hot in my apartment that every time I tried to muster some energy, I simply collapsed on my bed with the fan blowing full-force over me while sipping ice water or the lemonade I managed to make on Sunday night. Yes, folks, it's that time of year--the "Laurie Ann's apartment is powerful hot" time of year. I'll try not to dwell on it.

For some time now, I have been feeling what I assumed were little earthquakes. I've lived in LA long enough to know what it feels like. I'll be lying in bed or sitting on my sofa and feel the familiar rolling shake, but I've thought nothing of it because they are never strong enough to be concerned. Sometimes, especially when I feel a few of them in a row, I think, "It's just me. I'm making the bed/ sofa move." But then I look around the room and other things will be moving, like the necklaces that hang from nails in my bedroom, or the antenna on top of my TV. Last night, I felt a fairly strong rolling shake. The antenna moved, the lemonade in the glass on the coffee table swayed, the Mardi Gras beads that hang from my CD tower were clanking against the metal--in short, all signs that the earth was indeed moving. I heard no helicopters overhead or large trucks on the street. However, upon checking the official website, no earthquake was recorded. Hmmm, peculiar.

This morning, while in the bathroom doing some paperwork, I felt it again. The liquid soap in the dispenser and the Listerine in the bottle on the sink were both swaying. Clearly, the house, if not the earth, was moving. After it stopped, I rocked and stomped and tried to make the liquids move but to no avail, so I know it wasn't me. I checked the website again, and no earthquake reports. I returned to the bathroom to shower and found the pom pom hanging from a shelf (don't ask) swinging wildly. The soap and mouthwash were sloshing. What the ?

So, I have some theories.
A) Chateau de Frau is haunted and the poltergeist just likes to rock.
B) Chateau de Frau is located over a hell mouth and the Seal of Danzalthar is fixin' to blow wide open.
C) Chateau de Frau is barely held together and the whole building sways in the slightest breeze until the day a good strong Santa Ana blows it down.

What do you think?

3 comments:

Annika said...

When in doubt it is always a hellmouth. Which reminds me, you should come watch some Buffy in my air conditioning.

Natalie said...

It's the bees.

That place is about to fly off it's foundation to a loud roar of thousands of bee's wings.

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Firstly, I was with you in spirit, all of Sunday. I could barely get from the bed to the couch and back again. too friggin hot. And secondly, I *swear* there are phantom earthquakes that don't get reported. I've felt them too. I think we're just "special" and attuned to such goings on. But Hellmouth is still a possibility...