Tuesday, December 06, 2011

You say pretty tree; I say seven feet of fresh cut evil


It's that time of year again, when folks feel the need to litter public places with pine trees.  The lobby of our office building has been sporting wood since the day before Thanksgiving.  It was only a matter of time before my co-workers decided to spring for a tree for our own marbled entrance.  Damn you all.  

Before you think I'm all Scrooge-like and Grinchy, I'm not.  I'm super allergic to pine trees.  I know, it's ridiculous and it sucks. Just ask my siblings who had to settle for a fake tree every year. Eventually, I built up a tolerance while living in Northeast Pennsyltucky, but I've been away from the flora and fauna of the Poconos for some time now.  I just can't handle the pine anymore.  Unfortunately, I have to cover our front desk for an hour every day while the receptionist goes to lunch.  

About 20 minutes in, my head gets instantly stuffy, my face flushes, my throat gets scratchy, and my eyes start to burn.  Yes, I can ask someone else to cover, but not every day for the entire month of December. We just don't have that kind of staff.  I really should put my foot down and tell them, "No,  you cannot put a fresh tree in the lobby if you want me to continue my duties," but I'm basically a pansy and I don't want to sound like a bitch.  I mean, no one believes I'm allergic in the first place.  "What? How can you be allergic to Christmas trees?" has been the usual response.  

Next year.  Next year I'll put my foot down.  

No comments: