Monday, November 13, 2006

I'm Hit! I'm Hit!

I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, which happens when you pass out on the couch and are too lazy to get up and get into bed, so I poured myself a big mug of coffee to keep me awake during school tonight. I was driving down Sunset Boulevard, feeling good because of two possible jobs (more later) and I thought, "Gee, I hope that coffee doesn't spill. I'd better move it to the floor." [It's one of those wide-bottom non-spill mugs, and my cup holders suck.] No sooner had I moved it to the floor and straightened up when--BAM--I was hit from behind by girl in a white volvo who was clearly annoyed at me for getting in her way.

We pulled over. I got out to exchange insurance information and she stayed in her car looking at me dumbly. "Well get out and give me your insurance info," I said, okay maybe I shouted, but we were in traffic. Still she sat. I looked at the back of my car expecting to see some serious damage from the jolt I received, and much to my surprise there was nothing there but a tiny bit of white paint. I walked over to the girl, who was about 18, and asked if her front light was broken before she hit me. She nodded. That's when I noticed her fumbling desperately trying to find her insurance and shaking like a leaf. I mean, this girl was shaking so badly she couldn't open the envelope with her insurance card in it. I felt so bad for her. I kept seeing my poor niece sitting there while some angry woman hovered over her with death in her eyes. Call me an old softy. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Since there was no damage to either car, my trunk worked, nothing was leaking, and I was fine, I told her to forget it and we wouldn't report it to our insurance companies. There was really nothing to report anyway.

On a good note, I am taking a part-time position tomorrow and I have an interview for a full-time position on Wednesday. Both companies are non-profit and don't pay as well as I would like, but I cannot watch another episode of Maury's Paternity Test Clinic. I need to get out and earn a living, however meager it may be. Plus I can always keep my eyes open for a better paying position.


OH--and the coffee spilled on the floor of my car...that was the whole point here.

4 comments:

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I'm a-fused. First, I *know* your sunday post wasn't here this morning, yet it's still dated the 12th. Waddup widdat?!

Second - YOU OLD SOFTY!!! The Jman *just* had a similar experience, and at the very least, you should have gotten her info *JUST IN CASE*. Some things (uh, whiplash, anyone?) don't show up right away or aren't readily identifiable. Just cuz she was young doesn't mean she gets a free pass. How else is she going to learn not to follow so closely?!?!? HMMM?!?!?!

But I'm glad you're okay, even if the coffee spilled.

Sachi said...

Dude. I get the info anyhow, nowadays. I'll decide within 24 hours whether or not I want to do anything about it. I tell them I'll call them within 24 hours to let them know whether or not they should report it. i sooooo am not nice about such things anymore.

Uccellina said...

I was that girl once, and no one was that nice to me.

dizzy von damn! said...

you are accruing good karma, which will be repaid with a job.