Wednesday, December 29, 2010

How can I be getting older when I still feel 25?*

My sister's birthday is tomorrow. I had this weird realization over the holidays and I refuse to believe that we are getting older. I mean, I know I'm just a hop, skip, and a jump from 50, but I don't feel like that way. So, I was watching the plethora of bad holiday movies (Lifetime, ABC Family, Ion, etc) and they all starred women and some men my age who were big stars during our 20's. And the one thing they all had in common was these women looked old. Not just older, but old and kind of tired. Now, I know they can do a lot with make up but dang. I kept thinking, "these women are basically my age, give or take a year, and I refuse to believe that I look that old." It kind of smacked me in the face (so to speak).

My sister and I had the menopause discussion via email. It was not the "Man, remember when Mom went through the change? Let's not get that nutty" discussion. It was "I'm feeling like this...it may be that time." How am I old enough to even consider menopause? My joints are stiff in the morning. My eyesight is shot. Seriously, this morning I thought there was a bug on my alarm clock. No, it was just THE HANDS of the clock. I'm at the "wake up and put glasses on" stage, instead of the "wear them for reading" stage. Crap!

I have hope, though. I saw a "Law & Order: SVU" episode the other night with Jaclyn Smith, Morgan Fairchild, Susan Anton, and Ann Margaret. They all looked pretty good at 60+. I'm saving now for the nip/tuck.







*parts of this blog lifted from an email to my sister.

No comments: