Thursday, August 16, 2012

Curiouser and curiouser

Longtime fans know that there has been speculation (mostly from my friends) that I sleepwalk or even sleep drive, possibly both and possibly in an alternate dimension. You can read about it here, here, and here.
Now, I'm just convinced that my block is somehow like the island in LOST and I just need to accept that strange things happen here and act like it's normal.

Last night, I got home around 10:50.  There was no parking on my street, because some assholes haven't taken their trashcans in from last week and it's trash day again, but that's a rant for another day.  So, no parking, decided to try the perpendicular street, which is usually quite full, both sides, but worth a look see.  Surprisingly, it was not full. Not full, as in it was COMPLETELY EMPTY.  Not a car in sight on either side of the road.  I looked for one of those Temporary No Parking signs, but didn't see anything. I tilted my head like a dog staring at a ceiling fan and tried to remember if it was Monday or Tuesday (it wasn't), but then realized that that didn't matter because street cleaning is 10am to 1pm and all the cars are usually moved by then.  Why was the street empty?? Did the rapture only happen on that street? And why would the rapture take cars, unless it was Car Rapture.  Frankly, I was baffled, but also, I was tired and couldn't be bothered. I didn't want to risk parking there, lest there be something foul at work, and I parked on Wilcox at a metered space that needs to be vacated by 8am.  

I woke early, got myself together and headed to my car just in time to avoid a ticket.  Let me back up a second here.  Last night, I went to a movie with some friends.  I distinctly remember looking at my back bumper because there were two Nissan Sentras parked side by side, and I looked to make sure I was leaning on MY car.  My parking permit was firmly affixed to my car.  This morning, something told me to look at the parking sticker before getting in my car.  I don't know why, I just had a feeling or something.  The sticker has half peeled off.  I scored the sticker with a blade, and they weren't able to get it all off without tearing it, so they gave up.  That's not the weird part. That just pissed me off.  

The weird part was, when I got in the car, the radio was on (I'd been listening to the iPod on the way home) and the parking brake was on.  Now, I don't use the parking brake unless I'm on a hill, which I assure you I was not.  I remember my actions as I got out to the car last night specifically because I had grocery bags to grab, and my purse, and my knitting was falling out. I know I did NOT apply the parking brake.  I even tried to think if someone my purse strap had grabbed the brake and it got pulled up as I got out of the car, but no, I put the strap on my shoulder before looping the grocery bag up on my shoulder, so there's no way that happened.  My co-worker Michael thinks some responsible car thieves borrowed my car, parked it back where I had it, and applied the brake because they're cautious.  Or, my other personality is at it again.  Strange indeed.

No comments: