- I'm afraid of the dark. Oh, I soldier on and put on a brave face, but true darkness, the pitch black kind where you can't see your hand in front of your face, leaves me practically catatonic. I have a very active imagination. When I was little, the upstairs of our house was configured that my parents bedroom door and my brother's bedroom door were directly across from each other. My evil older brothers would unscrew the hall light so that it didn't come on when I flipped the switch downstairs. I pleaded with my dad to "walk me upstairs," but he always responded with those haunting words, "Go on! Nothing's going to get you." Oh yeah? My evil brothers hid in the dark doorways, and as I passed by, they'd jump out and grab me, causing me to a) wet my pants; and b) get yelled at by my father for screaming and wetting my pants. Mean boys!!!
- I have an unnatural fear of demons. Demons? Seriously? Yes, demons and all their supernatural friends. I know their existence is suspect at best, but still. This fear can be traced back to an accidental viewing of Satan's School for Girls (the 1973 version) when I was young. And did anyone else read Ghost Story? I worked in a theatre back home and we entered and exited through one of the auditoriums. The only light in that auditorium when the place was closed was a single spot light. Sometimes the projectionist forgot to turn on the light and we were expected to walk out in the dark. Sometimes Laurie Ann ran like a bat out of hell out of that theatre screaming in her head.
- I am obsessed with pens. I have been on a lifelong quest to find the perfect pen. A fine line, no gloppiness, a smooth glide, fountain pen quality without the fountain pen maintenance--the perfect pen. And so, along the way I have spent far too much money on pens, partly because of this, and partly because...
- I have no will power against the Bright, Shiny Objects. And they need not necessarily be bright or shiny...just neato. Gadgets, gizmos, thingamajigs--if they are novel or cute, I'm the consumer they're targeting. I will spend my last dime on something, no matter how useless, based on it's cuteness alone. Which leads to...
- I buy eye shadows, lipsticks, and nail polishes aplenty regardless of the fact that I hardly wear any makeup, and my nails are stubby. I also buy hair accoutrements, which is more practical because of the long hair, but hardly use them because I'm lazy and don't feel like doing my hair most days.
- When my sister was younger, she had kidney issues and couldn't eat acidic foods, so Mom made her spaghetti without the sauce. Being the little sister, I naturally copied her and had to have my spaghetti without sauce too. And do you know what? I actually prefer it that way. Sure, I enjoy a good marinara or Alfredo, but for the most part, I just want a bit of butter and some salt on my noodles. So, my last quirk is I eat pasta plain.
That's it, folks, your tiny glimpse inside the mind of Laurie Ann.