Friday, April 29, 2011

I did it for my mom, mostly

Two of my mom's favorite things were the Rose Parade, as previously mentioned, and all things Royal. She loved Diana, particularly, but she loved the whole British Royal family, as well as the royals of other nations, too. Mom subscribed to Royalty magazine, a UK affair that came in big glossy splendor each month. We'd look through it each month and discuss the fashions, what that wacky Sarah Ferguson was up to, how handsome Prince Felipe of Spain was, how beautiful Diana was, and how that cad, Charles, had done her wrong. Mom and I got up at the crack of dawn for Diana's wedding to Charles, and then again for the wedding of Prince Andrew and Fergie*. Which is why I felt compelled to stay up all night to watch the wedding of Prince William and the lovely Kate Middleton.** I know if Mom were with us today we'd have been on the phone with each other swooning over the simple yet elegant gown of the bride and her maid of honor, guffawing over some of those hats (I'm looking at you Princess Bea), and generally getting all misty. Plus, who doesn't love a good wedding?


*During the Andy/ Fergie wedding, Mom and I were cuddled on the sofa in the living room sipping coffee when my brother, Roy, came downstairs to head out to work. He looked at us on the sofa, looked at the TV, and shook his head muttering something about "crazy." It was classic.

**Am I the only one bothered by the fact that her name is Catherine with a C, but they call her Kate with a K? I mean, Cate Blanchett manages to make the C work for her.

No comments: