Wednesday, December 19, 2007

What's with the over-sensitivity?

I realize, and so do you if you've read my profile, that I can be somewhat acerbic at times. I also realize that some people don't know how to take me upon first meeting me. None of these people are a part of this story.

Case #1: I had a headache. I was achy. My hair hurt. What part of that scenario says, "hey, know what I need? A neck massage!" I'm not a fan of amateur massages on my best days. So when our in-house, non-licensed massage therapist decided to grab my neck, I may have reacted harshly. I may have said something like, "DON'T TOUCH ME." I followed that up with "It's not something that can be cured with a massage," however, given that I had spent the better part of the day complaining about how sick and achy I was feeling, she shouldn't have gotten so bent out of shape about it. She pouted and wouldn't look at me for the rest of the day.

Case #2: Most people who know me, especially those who deal with me everyday, know that when asked a question like, "Laurie, Can I get some...?" I will immediately answer, "No." Usually, the answer comes before the question is finished, so how can you take that seriously? Oh, but someone did and stomped off even while I was answering their question in earnest. When I tried to follow this person and say, "I'm kidding," said person would have none of it.
Cases #3 and #4: Well, I can't really explain these cases due to a readership that may or not include the parties involved, but suffice to say people took things the wrong way, took offense when none was meant, turned a simply case of female cattiness into racial tension, and generally had the rest of us on eggshells.
People, please--take it easy.

No comments: