Saturday, September 06, 2008

(too illin' to think of a title--deal with it)

I have had soooo much to do at work and I still haven't learned to say, "I have a lot on my plate right now. Is that a priority over these items?" or "I don't think I can get that done in a timely manner. Can anyone else do it?" Because truth be told, the boss kind of intimidates me--just a little, not so much that I cower or anything, but it's certainly not like my Tower boss, with whom I could communicate openly. It doesn't help that this boss is on so many committees and has so many meetings that things just naturally get passed along to me. Great! Not to mention the fact that, like my mother, I'm not much of a delegator and am of the "if you want something done right, do it yourself" frame of mind, so I take on tasks such as cleaning up the storage room to make room for donations (which I could have passed on to the Events Manager's assistant, but I've seen how she puts stuff away and it doesn't work for me). In the process of doing that I (a) smashed a knuckle which is now purple, (b) twisted my knee which now hurts like a #@%^$, and (c) realized I have no strength in my arms anymore as I could not life a box above my head.

So, I have this box of filing that needs to be done. I mean a moving box, not an In Box. It's ridiculous, really. I was going to go in today and just concentrate on the filing. No one else would be there to distract me. I could spread out in the conference room and separate the papers into piles. I would have the file storage room to myself so I could move freely and not bump into the temps. It was going to be great.

Then the migraine hit me. Oh, it's powerful bad. And the playful police officer testing his siren and loud speaker at 7:00 this morning with "shave and a haircut" didn't help. I was halfway down the stairs in my PJ's before I thought better of yelling at the police. I came back upstairs, doped up on the Excedrin Migraine and went back to bed.

Then the cramps came. Oh, how I enjoy being a woman. I am doubled over and close to vomiting. I have a pretty high pain threshold. I can work through a lot of pain before it's unbearable. These make me want to cry. These make me want to take Midol, which I haven't used since I was in 8th grade. NO, these make me want to smoke pot--medicinally, of course, as I don't smoke anything on account of my sad little lungs. I have this nifty heated rice bag that my sister made for me laying upon my nethers and it's not helping. Plus I really do want to vomit. Now!!!!!
[Experiencing technical difficulties. Please stand by.]

Phew. So, if anybody needs me today I'll be curled up in bed. Tomorrow, I'll be at the office filing until I can't file no more. I hope y'all have a better weekend.

2 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Oooooo...sounds terrible. Sorry you're feeling so funky.

You MUST take charge and learn to DELEGATE. So what if the task isn't done exactly like you'd do it! At least it's done. LIghten up and take charge, Missy! Believe me, it's worth it.

Hugs!
Ms. Head of Department Secretaries Delegation Unit

Natalie said...

Dang...are you still alive?
Helloooooo.
Anybody home?