Tuesday, October 06, 2009

BPA, PBA, APB--Easy as 1, 2, 3: SIGG bottle update

My nephew, The Roy, did some research (it was right under my nose) and found that SIGG liners did indeed contain BPA (prior to August 2008). Here is a letter of apology from their CEO, Steve Wasik. Sincere or not, I appreciate the gesture. The company is also offering an exchange program in which you may return your old bottles for newer ones with the safe lining. This is more than other manufacturers have offered.

If you own SIGG bottles, look inside. Is the liner dark gold? That's an old one. The new liner is lighter color. In the interest of full disclosure, there has been evidence that the new liners are not as high quality as the old ones and may flake off. Also, if you purchase a SIGG from a third party online retailer (not from SIGG itself or in stores) you may end up with an old liner as there are still some out there.

I guess the bottom line is--Go with the Stainless Steel for complete peace of mind. I'm probably going to stick with my SIGGs and exchange my old ones, although I don't know if I can get the same designs, which makes me sad.

No comments: