Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Ah to be the Winter Queen

I was smart this time. I stopped at CVS on my way home to pick up D batteries for my Coleman TV/radio/flashlight combo that I won at a product presentation from the fine folks at Warner Music Distribution. I also picked up several handheld, battery-operated fans. I was set and good thing, too, because the power was still out when I got home.

The only stations that came in clearly were Fox 11 and KCAL 9. No biggie. I watched Simpsons, Malcolm In The Middle, Bones--then I fell asleep. I woke up at 11:00pm when the lights finally came on. A rousing cheer was heard throughout the neighborhood. I turned the lights off and the fan on, and went back to sleep. This morning, I woke up with a blanket on. It actually felt--dare I say it--chilly in my room.

No such luck at work, however. Still no A/C so the boss is not coming in today. I left an angry message on the machine at the building management office, including a diatribe about the crappy cleaning crew they have hired who hasn't vacuumed our carpets in two months and the fact that the ladies room of horrors was filthy this morning. I'm spitting mad and crazy from the heat. They will do well to approach with caution.

One of the books I read over the weekend was about faeries and the struggle between the Winter Queen and the Summer King. All descriptions of the Winter Queen were filled with references to snow and ice and frostbite and it almost--not quite, but almost--made me feel cooler. sigh

2 comments:

Neila said...

At least you only READ about Winter Queen. In a few months I'll be dealing with snow and ice and frostbite in MN. NOT my idea of a good time!

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

jesu cristo. No hot water, no electricity, no a/c. See, I'm gone for one lousy week and ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!!