Thursday, October 09, 2008

Like summer all year long (I mean, for people who don't live in So Cal)

In case you haven't guessed by my lack of blog posts, my brain is fried. The huge fundraiser is three weeks away and we're all in Crunch Time mode. I can't wait until November when I can breathe a sigh of relief and make out my birthday wish list (hint hint). So, while I have no time to write a blog post, I have been keeping up on all y'all. Like Carla and Natalie's road trip (Thelma and Louise style, minus Brad Pitt, but with a tiny kitten) I loved the Boll Weevil Restaurant. And Ellen picking and grinning on her banjo--have you seen the 50 Banjos site? Can you guess which one is mine? Oh, and I can't forget Betheboy's week-long tribute to his lovely wife, Slackmistress, and her equally touching response.

Today, I saw a post that made me smile wide enough to show my back teeth. Have you heard of the Sun Jar? It's nothing special, when you really think about it. Just a jar with a rechargeable solar-powered battery and an LED light. But look at it.It's like lightning bugs in a jar--but without the cruelty and the jarful of dead bugs. I love lightning bugs. Joann and I had the best time chasing their glowing butts all over my yard when were kids. You can buy one for 20 pounds sterling, plus shipping (little over $40). OR, you can make your own with some very simple instructions* for about $20**. I'm totally making these. Thank you, Jackson at Superforest, for turning me on to this little bit of sunshine in my otherwise overwhelming day.

*Instructables is a great site. Spend some time and peruse the craftiness.
**I priced out the materials today and can give you websites if you'd like.

2 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Oooo..thanks for the 50 Banjos site! Is your drawing the one with the daisies?

Pickin' and a grinnin',
L.A. Ell

Natalie said...

The 50 Banjos site is awesome. And so is that danged sun lamp. I want those in my back yard. Great. Another project on the list.