Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Hosanna, Indeed.

I received an email today from Nederlander Marketing--an ad for tickets to see "Jesus Christ, Superstar" at the Wilshire Theater starring Ted Neely. Yes, THE Ted Neely, the one who played Jesus in the film--IN 1973!!!! Holy Crap! A quick check with IMDB shows Mr. Neely to be a ripe 65 years old. I don't want to be accused of age discrimination but, um, Jesus died at 33 for crying out loud (yeah, I almost said "for Christ's sake"*). So I was lamenting this fact (the inappropriate casting, not the death of Jesus) to my nephew, The Roy, who had this to say: "He's lived twice as long as Jesus! That's like, two for the price of one! Twice the Christ, Just as Nice!" I love him. (The Roy...and the Jesus)

Isn't Ted over this role by now? I mean, seriously, dude, you've been playing Jesus for 35 years. You were age-appropriate when you made the film. Now it's just sad. It's time to hang up the robe, kick off the sandals and retire.

*I guess I did say it.

3 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Twice the Christ! Hahahaha! Well, if you think of it this way....Neely has finally internalized the role and can truly be believable as JC. JC is probably looking down from Up There and wishing he was more like Ted.

Anonymous said...

Why should he retire when his pipes are still in good form???? Do you think a!ll our rock stars should retire just because of chronology?

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

:) I have tickets to the show. I fell in love with Ted Neeley at the ripe old age of 9 or 10, when I saw the movie, so when I saw the show was coming, I had to. It's still my most favoritist movie ever. I'll let you know if that changes after the 20th.