Saturday, December 06, 2008

I are dumb

I was coming home today and really had a craving for Jack in the Box egg rolls. I know. Sacrilege! But I do love me The Box. However, I had to pee really, really, REALLY bad and sitting in a drive-thru was going to end tragically. So I parked the car at home, ran inside to pee, and walked over to Jack in the Box. I knew I'd only be gone a few minutes, so I didn't lock the deadbolt. I also didn't take my purse because I had a $20 bill in my pocket.

When I returned home, I reached into my pocket and found my work keys, not my house keys. Balls!!! Oh, crappity crap crap!! I looked at the window that I had to smash in January when the valet lost my house keys and subsequently paid $200 to replace. Then I looked at the pane above it, which already has a crack. I really didn't feel like dropping another $200. I sat on the porch and pondered the situation. At least I had egg rolls and a pumpkin pie milkshake.

I turned my work keys over and over in my hand. What was I thinking? I always--ALWAYS--check for my keys before leaving. Now I'm left outside without a jacket with these six worthless office keys and two silver keys which I don't remember ever using. Wait. These two silver keys, which look exactly alike, are incredibly similar to house keys. Maybe...

I stuck a key in the lock and it did nothing. I tried the other key. Hooray!! It was my house key!!! I guess I'm not such an idiot after all. I must have, in some inspired moment, decided to put the house key on there just in case. I still don't know what the other silver key is for, probably my friend Tami's house, but who cares? I made it inside.

1 comment:

Ellen Bloom said...

Phew! You would have hated to bother Frau Landlady to let you in...that's for sure!