Thursday, November 26, 2009

My Favorite Turkey

Thanksgiving Day, 1981--It was early morning when we got the call. "Evelyn's in labor." Mom was preparing for the big meal. I was getting ready to go to the annual Turkey Day Game, a 65-year-old rival football game between East Stroudsburg and Stroudsburg high schools. It was a home game that year (Eastburg), as it is this year. Just before halftime, as the East Stroudsburg High School Marching Show Band (as they were called in those days) was about to take the field, I found my best friend, Joann, who was in the Silks squad (you may have called them Color Guard at your school). "Evie's in labor!" I shouted to her. She gave me an excited thumbs up.

After the game, we were all on pins and needles. Even though our team lost, something bigger was on the horizon--a new baby! We waited all day for the good news call. Dinner time came but no baby. Dessert was served, still no baby. Dishes were done, but no calls came in--well, not the call we were waiting for. Everyone else was rushed off the phone immediately. Leftovers were being picked over and for crying out loud we still didn't have a new baby in the family!!!! What the hell, child? Just follow the yellow brick road out of the womb already so we can relax!!

Finally, sometime after 7:00pm EST*, my brother Roy called to tell us that Evelyn, my lovely sister-in-law, had delivered a bouncing baby boy. The Roy had arrived. Mother was exhausted; baby was chillin' having taken his good ol' time getting here.

So, on Thanksgiving Day, 2009, when the East Stroudsburg South (because we now have two high schools) Cavaliers defeated the Stroudsburg Mountaineers by a shameful 42-0, I wish my favorite little Butterball a very Happy Birthday!! I love you, Roy.

*I may be wrong on the time. It could have been around 9pm, but I seem to remember 7ish because my brother called at 7ish am. Anyway, the kid took his time, but we still love him.

2 comments:

Funky Muffins said...

Thank you for the kind words!

And hey, take a look around, would you? Would YOU be in a hurry to get here?

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Awwwwww. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, The Roy!!