Friday, July 15, 2011

Damn, Nature. You Scary.

I went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II  last night at midnight.  I won't ruin it for you.  It was as awesome as you'd expect.

Needless to say, I was super tired this morning and didn't wake up until my internal alarm started screaming "Move your car! You'll get a ticket!!!"  I leaped out of bed, tossed on some clothes, and moved my car in that dizzy half-drunk state one finds oneself after a mere two hours of sleep.  Coming back to my front door, I noticed a dead pigeon on the lawn that hadn't been there a minute ago.  It was right at the bottom of my stoop, barely in the grass, so I would have seen it on my way out.  "That happened quickly," I thought.  I saw no blood or claw/tooth marks, so I didn't think a cat got it.  I also didn't see a head, which confounded me.  Whatever.  I stumbled back upstairs and lay on the bed a few more minutes to clear the lightheaded feeling before hopping in the shower.  Thirty minutes later when I left for work, the pigeon was still there.  Just as my foot was about to hit the bottom step of my front stoop, a hawk swooped down out of nowhere, grabbed the dead pigeon, and flew off in a shower of gray and white feathers.  It was strangely beautiful.  I get the whole Circle of Life thing, but dang, nature is cold.

No comments: