Tuesday, July 29, 2008

This is why you close the toilet lid

By now, you all know about the earthquake. I was on the 8th floor of a 10 story building downtown and the reaction of my co-workers was interesting. I was coming back from the bathroom when it hit (good timing) and as I walked in the door, the receptionist's face was frozen in a silent O. "What? What did I do?" I asked. Then I felt it. One co-worker shouted, "Get under your desk!" Another shouted, "Get in the doorway!" A third was running up and down the corridor crying, "We have to evacuate!" I should mention that these were native Angelinos, people who have lived through their share of earthquakes, including the much-referenced Northridge quake.

When I got home, I looked around to see what had fallen (a deck of cards, the mouse to this here computer, my deodorant) and what hadn't (a precariously perched clock remained precariously perched). I went to the bathroom and found--arrghhh--my bottle of Biosilk and my brand new hairbrush had landed in the toilet. Curses for not shutting the lid this morning!! They have since been disinfected.

I settled in for a night of knitting, but didn't feel like working on my Lace Ribbon Scarf. Instead, I grabbed several balls of yarn and cast on with each color for Argosy, another scarf, but one I had been planning to knit for some time. The winning yarn is a blend of polyamide, viscose (what the hell is that?) and linen (that I understand) in a blue/beige twist. This is what it looks like so far.Now I have to things to finish for the Ravelympics. Yikes!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Pretty, pretty scarves you are working on!

It's also good feng shui to close the toilet. Something about flushing your money down the toilet.

Ellen Bloom said...

The blue scarf looks great! I really like this pattern in a solid color. Try not to drop it in the toity, please.