Friday, January 16, 2009

What are you doing tonight?

Well, if you're anywhere near a television at 11:30pm, tune into the Late Show with David Letterman. Why? Because The Airborne Toxic Event will be the musical guests. As you may recall, the drummer for TATE is the handsome and talented Daren Taylor, a friend of mine from my movie theatre/ Tower days who once spent 9 months in my apartment putting up with my mood swings and still cheerfully singing "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" and Postal Service songs upon request.

You owe it to yourselves to check out this band. Their self-titled CD on Major Domo Records is available, oh, just about everywhere including iTunes, which is where I got my copy.Lead singer Mikel Jollett (far right) has one of those voices that touches you somewhere deep inside and doesn't even buy you dinner or drinks first. The rest of the band (left to right from Daren) are Noah Harmon, Anna Bulbrook, and Steven Chen. Anna plays a killer violin and was very sweet to me when DT introduced us at El Cid a million years ago (okay, maybe two years ago;I can't remember 'cause I'm old). As Dave used to say, wake the kids, phone the neighbors--this a band to watch.

3 comments:

Funky Muffins said...

Oh, way cool.

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

SHUT. UP!!!!! You know these guys?!?! I *love* their song "Sometime Around Midnight" with a passion reserved for, oh, say, Prince. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Since I only listen to radio (MP3 player? Que es eso?!), I can't wait for the next song they release. :) I'm so old.

Unknown said...

hey- i found your blog while searching for people who've written about our mutual buddy daren. I don't know, I guess I just miss him. Anyway, this was cute. i'm sure we'll probably meet some time! and now i'm gonna go check out the rest of your blog! :)