Thursday, August 16, 2007

Free Ride

I tossed and turned all night, worried about Jamie and how much it was going to cost, and how this would get me behind in my bills and when will I ever get out of the hole. Consequently, I had about an hour of sleep before getting up at stupid o'clock to call AAA and get Jamie to the doctor.
I took the fastest shower of my life, threw my hair up in a bun, and ran out to the car to await my chariot, driven by Cueball McTowtruck. He was talking to me but I was so tired and the sun was bright and I heard "Blah blah end of my shift blah blah you're not in a hurry, are you?" I called the dealership and told them we were on our way. I soon figured out what Cueball (he was bald) was trying to tell me. It was the end of his shift and rather than drive me and Jamie the 7 miles to the VW dealership downtown, he drove us to the tow company's headquarters in Atwater Village so that he could clock out and another driver could take us to the dealership. Frankly, I was far too exhausted to care, but it seemed pretty silly to me. It would have taken just as much time to drive me downtown and come back.

I explained the problem to the boys at VW of Downtown and they agreed that it sounded like the same problem as the last time, and guess what? It was a misfire on the third cylinder. I don't know exactly what that means, but I know it's something about a spark plug and that means the repairs were FREEEEEEEEE! Woo Hoo! And, I got a car wash and bag of popcorn while I when I came to pick her up. I was so happy about the $0.00 repairs that I celebrated with some spicy fruit.
I can't believe I lived 42 years without knowing the taste extravaganza that is chopped fruit with lime and chili powder. Oh so tasty, and the man squeezed lots of lime and added lots of chili to make them extra specially good. Is Cucumber a fruit? Who cares, it's good.

It gave me the zip I needed to work late and bust a move on cleaning and organizing the storage room.

8 comments:

Faith said...

Cukes are fruit and this is a very L.A. Mexico thing. My girlfriends at work go get this across the street almost every day. As a total white girl, I get the pineapple and watermelon with nothing on it. The guy always gives me the strangest looks...

xo
Faith

Faith said...

Oh yeah! So glad about Jamie. My car however is totaled. wah wah. :(

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, now you know the magic of fruita.

Anonymous said...

Yippeee! I'm very happy about Jamie's $0.00 repair!

Uccellina said...

Mango with salt and chili is very Indian, but I've never tried fruit with lime and chili. I may have to sometime, after this morning sickness lets up. Oh - and cucumber is actually in the same family as watermelon. Who knew?

Congratulations on free car repair. I'm glad you can now direct your paycheck to its orginally intended destination.

dizzy von damn! said...

yay free!

and that sounds DELICIOUS.

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

YAY YOU!!! YAY JAIME!!! It's been a bad, bad week, but its (almost) over, and I think we'll make it out alive.

I think some llama llama llama DUCK petting is in order; good thing the fiber fair is tomorrow!

Oh, and, UCC? "after this morning sickness lets up"?!?!!!!

Ellen Bloom said...

Hmm? You can get a high from fruit sprinkled with lime and chili powder? I see those guys with their little fruit carts, janglin' down the street all the time. Must try some. Thanks for the tip. Congrats on the car!