Thursday, June 12, 2008

In which ordering lunch becomes a 45 minute ordeal

The catering menu reads: "Serves 50--100 pieces of chicken, two sides, rolls, plates, napkins, utensils." I tell the gal "I need the 50 person package, but we want grilled chicken instead of fried." She hmms and ummms for a bit and says, "the price is for the fried chicken." I explain that I understand the grilled chicken will cost more and that's fine, we just really want grilled. She plays with her calculator, bites her lip, looks at her manager for direction, looks at the menu, looks at me, then says, "I'm trying to figure out how much chicken that will be." Call me silly, but 100 pieces is 100 pieces regardless of how it's prepared. I tell her this. "But the grilled is different." Um, huh?
It's chicken. You cut it in four and either grill it or fry it. I fail to see the problem.
She then tells me that if I order the Family combo (four pieces, two sides) I'll save money. But the catering menu for 50 includes 2 pieces of chicken per person for $220, while the 26 combos I would need to ensure 2 pieces per person would cost $416. "But the Family Combo serves four," she explained. Tired of trying to make her see the difference I said, "We're big eaters. We'll need more."

This went on and on. In the end I ordered 13 Family combos and 50 extra pieces--and it wasn't ready when I went to pick it up. Damn.

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

Glad to know its not just the UK where people in fried chicken "restaurants" have the IQ of a dead gnat...