Wednesday, April 22, 2009

So many things to commemorate in one day

Everyone is posting about Earth Day. I'll admit that I did nothing special for Earth Day. I try to make changes every day to reduce, reuse and recycle so today was no different. But what about the other "days" being celebrated today.

Like Administrative Professionals day, for one. Why, yes, I am an Administrative Professional, but it doesn't stop me from appreciating other admins and all the hard work they (we) do to keep the cogs moving and the bosses of the world happy. Have you hugged your Admin today? Better not; that's an HR issue. This is what my co-workers did to show me they cared:Aren't they lovely? They smell just as wonderful as they look. And yes, I do have a lot of toys in my office. I'm still a child at heart.

It's also Denim Day in LA. Denim Day is a campaign to educate the public about rape and sexual assault. One in three women has experienced some sort of sexual assault/ abuse in her lifetime. Someone you know; many women I know.

[from the website]: "In 1998, an Italian Supreme Court decision overturned a rape conviction because the victim wore jeans, reasoning she must have helped her attacker remove them. People all over the world were outraged. Wearing jeans became an international symbol of protest against erroneous and destructive attitudes about sexual assault."

The company where I work participated this year by encouraging everyone to wear jeans (like we needed encouragement) and by wearing buttons and telling everyone who asked what Denim Day was all about. Since we also work with middle school and high school students, part of our commitment to the campaign was to educate our kids about the myths of sexual assault. Many of our kids will be headed off to college soon, hopefully armed with the tools and education to prevent such crimes, or the courage to bring charges against their attackers in court if not.

What did you celebrate today? It was a beautiful day to do it.

2 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Commendations to you and your company for celebrating Denim Day. Who knew? Thanks for the education.

I celebrated yarn.

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I never thought I'd be ambivalent about our casual dress code, but once it became de rigour to wear jeans on Fridays, people lost interest in participating in Denim Day. :(