Friday, November 19, 2010

Super Casual Friday

I fell asleep on the sofa again Thursday night but this time, I woke up around 3am and went to bed. Bad move. I slept through the alarm and woke up at 7:55am. I need to have my car off the metered street by 8am to avoid a ticket. I rolled out of bed, brushed my teeth, ran my fingers through my hair, grabbed an elastic just in case it became a bun kind of day, and tossed on the first clothes I could find. Then I grabbed my bags and ran out the door, missing the parking enforcement by a matter of seconds, I'm sure. I was still wearing yesterday's mascara. At work, I managed to moisturize and get a quick extra coat of mascara (I keep some in my drawer for just such occasions) to make myself look less disheveled.

When I pulled into my parking space, I noticed one of the building security guards walk out of the elevator area and over to the wall outside that area. He turned toward the wall and his stance was kind of "I'm going to pee on this wall." I watched him while thinking, "Surely he saw me pull in just now. He knows someone is watching, right?" Then, he put a key or something up to the wall. huh? I know. I was just as confused as you are now. He turned away from the wall and walked over to the yellow post that keeps people from driving into the elevator area and did something there, then walked across the parking lot to the other side of the building. Wtf? I investigated and there's a doorbell on the outside wall of the elevator area. A doorbell! What does it do? Why did he push it and then walk to the yellow post? Does it open some kind of super spy shaft in which he retrieves top secret messages and assignments? I wanted to push the doorbell button, but my luck some trap door would open up beneath me and I was already late for work.

Funniest moment of the day: I was in a deep discussion with my friend about important things like contracts and stuff when I said with some urgency, "Oh shoot, I keep forgetting to make this call." I picked up my cell and dialed the number, indicating to my friend to keep talking, I'm listening. She kept talking and I paused her when the phone was answered at the other end. "Hi," I said, "Do you have any openings for a fill and pedicure tomorrow morning?" The look on her face was priceless. After I hung up, she was all, "THAT was your important phone call?" THAT was worth pausing me?" Well, it has been three weeks since my last fill. My nails are looking kind of bad.

No comments: