Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A ha!

Yesterday, after I posted, my co-worker, Terry, looked at my finger and in two seconds said, "Oh, yeah. You bruised your tendon." Terry, who is not a doctor, but has done stunt work and has had too many motorcycle accidents to count, said it has happened to her often. I looked it up online (always a bad idea) and since I have full range of motion in that finger and it doesn't seem to actively hurt anymore, I'm not going to worry about it. However, since it is still a little swollen (ever so slightly) and a little purple, I'm going to keep an eye on it and seek medical attention if it does not improve.

Now, you're probably saying, "Yes, yes; that's all well and good, but how did you injure it in the first place?" Or, you're just hoping I'll stop talking about it and using Harlequin Romance words like "turgid." Here's my theory. When I was driving home from Tami's house on Sunday, some car stopped short on Venice Blvd. I had to do some Nascar maneuvering to avoid an accident. Well, when I drive, I don't necessarily keep my hands at 10 and 2. I tend to drive with my left hand, keeping the right on the gear shift. My left hand is usually resting on the cross bar of the steering wheel with my pinkie finger on the outside of the wheel. Bad idea, I know. If any police officers are reading this, I'm joking. I swear my hands are always in the correct position, except when I shift or use my turn signal, which I ALWAYS use. Anyway, I'm thinking that I must have injured my finger when I jerked the wheel to the left without getting a better grip on the wheel. Oops.

2 comments:

Hester from Atlanta said...

Maybe you could keep a finger guard or a wrap on the finger at night so you don't accidently injure it some more in your sleep. Keeping the finger stablized at night will help to heal it quicker. Anyway - my 2 cents. Hope if feels better soon- Hester

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Oops is right. I too keep my right hand on the shift, which is weird, since I haven't driven a stick shift in over 10 years...