Monday, May 03, 2010

How Trivial

After years of extolling myself as (according to an ex-boyfriend) "the fount of useless knowledge," it was time to put up or shut up. Casey's, a fine Irish pub at 6th and Grand downtown, hosts a Team Trivia night on Mondays. My friend, Toy, and her man, Al, usually attend Trivia night on Thursdays at Weiland Brewery Underground. But since Thursday is knitting night (I'm coming back, I swear), I usually decline. I could no longer decline, not that I wanted to.

So, Casey's had $3 PBR, for the redneck in all of us, and $2 off regular drinks. And the whiskey, Sweet Lord--they have six different kinds of Bushmills. I didn't know there was more than one. I went for the Guinness, of course. It seemed only right.

Our team, Three Sheets to the Win, lead the way most of the night until that fatal blow of the last questions.
  • Name the three youngest NHL players to hit the 500 point mark.
  • Name the three red properties on Monopoly.
  • Name the three astronauts on Apollo 13.
Al and I drew a Monopoly board. I could picture where each color lay, but could not for the life of me remember the names of the red properties. NHL Players? Do I look Canadian? I got Gretsky, but other than that the only hockey players I could name are Bobby Orr and Luc Robitaille. As for the astronauts, I don't think Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton and Kevin Bacon were the right answers.

In the end, we came in second, a respectable place considering, and won a gift certificate for Casey's. You know I'm going back next week.


1 comment:

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Yknow, I've been kicking arse on the Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions (tm), but I would crash and burn on this. These questions are HARD!

Yay for the gift certificate; I hope it doesn't have any stupid restriction re: alcoholic beverages!