Monday, May 10, 2010

Since when is perky a bad thing

Last night, for some reason, I was sooo sleepy. I was ready to drop by 8:30, but I forced myself to watch all extras on the Criterion edition of My Own Private Idaho* just to stay awake until 10:30. The result? Well, I was wide awake when my alarm went off, so instead of hitting snooze, I got up and was ready to go in good time. My hair looks awesome, no puffy eyes (Thanks, Ellen), and good make up. Heck, I even managed to charge the iPod and download a couple of songs before heading to work, where I arrived 15 minutes early.

I had my first cup of coffee a full hour before the boss arrived. I was cheerful and bright and, dare I say, eager to work. Then, I wrote a letter and had several people read it before sending. They all said it was cheesy. Too cheesy, in fact. Then they told me I was too perky, that maybe I should try another cup of coffee to restore my usual sarcasm. How sad that bitter and sarcastic is preferred over perky and efficient. And I was efficient today. I got more done before 1pm than I usually do all week. Damn, I may have set a precedent. Now the boss is going to expect me to be on top of shit all the time. I'll just have to tell her, you have to take the good with the bad. If you want me to be efficient and on top of things, you have to put up with perky and cheesy. It's a package deal.

And my hair still looks amazing.


*Not random; I was watching the movie.

2 comments:

Hester from Atlanta said...

Well heck, darned if you do and darned if you don't. I love your attitude. You can't have it both ways. Either I'm awake, efficient, cheesey and perky or I'm half asleep and just plain grumpy. I know I am a wreck when I don't get enough sleep or the right kind of sleep.

As long as your hair looks amazing what difference does it make? Isn't that the bottom line?

Best - Hester

Ellen Bloom said...

Yup! I agree with Hester. My Mom always says, "It's better to look good than feel good." Apparently, looking good can make you actually FEEL good...and perky!

You, go Girlfriend!